Whether you stay in Australia or head home, you have several options available to you.
Staying in Australia
Let’s face it, although you miss home, you probably loved doing your studies in Australia, and may well be considering staying a bit longer. We can help you explore your options.
You may be able to continue your studies in Australia, to pursue a related field of study, or higher-level qualification. It may also be possible, if you are eligible, to undertake post study work to put your newly gained knowledge to use and gain work experience in Australia.
An important part of the process to get a visa to work in Australia after the completion of your studies is having a skills assessment completed by the relevant government nominated organisation. If you have not done so before you should check if your course will meet the requirements of the skills assessment. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Click here[add link] for more information on skills assessments
If you decide to undertake further study or work in Australia you need to check that this is allowed under your current visa. Alternatively, you may need to apply for a new visa. You should contact Aussie Education Services for assistance and advice around your visa or migration options.
You can also view the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website to check your visa conditions.
Starting a business in Australia
You may decide that you want to put your new-found skills to use in starting your own business. We may be able to provide you with assistance and advice about setting up your own business, we have extensive knowledge and a network of experts that may be willing to assist. We also provide information and advice about the visa options that may be available to you.
One of the best times to start a business is when you are freshly graduated from university. However, getting good advice about your business idea, and also any visa issues is very important.
Contact us for a discussion about how we might help.
Preparing to go back home
You will have to do quite a bit of preparation and work before you can leave the country.
Make sure you consider all the following:
- Shipping goods back home;
- Getting exam results, which aren’t part of your academic qualification, from your institution;
- Claiming the security bond back from your rental accommodation;
- Taking some time out to do some sightseeing;
- Ensuring you have left your contact details with your institution, your friends and acquaintances that you have made whilst here;
- Selling your car, furniture or other items that cannot be easily shipped; and
- Arranging flights and/or other transport home.
- Your phone, you may need to change your mobile phone company or arrangements, if you are on a pre-paid plan, ensure your contract is paid out and finalized before you leave. Don’t forget other utilities you may have as well.
- Transportation to the airport (you would be surprised how many people don’t consider how difficult it is to get their luggage to the airport)
We can help you with transfers and flights.
Many institutions run information sessions or seminars with advice on returning home and adjusting to life outside of Australia. Ask your international student support team at your institution for more information.
In any case
Whatever your plans, consider joining an alumni group from your institution. It’s one way of keeping up with classmates, as well as providing you with extra benefits and opportunities.
You will probably be considering new accommodation arrangements even if you are staying in Australia, so ensure you update your address with all of your providers.